The boys are back in town! The town is San Diego and the boys are Ferrell, Rudd, Carell and Koechner. It’s been a decade since we last saw the four boys from the Channel 4 News Team who took the audience by storm. Since then, they’ve all parted ways, only to be reassembled to join the world’s first 24-hour news network.
Financially, The Legend Continues is twice as big as the first movie in the Anchorman universe. Both the budget and the result at the box office have doubled since 2004. You can easily say that Anchorman 2 was one of last year’s most anticipated comedies. This of course put some pressure on the shoulders of director Adam McKay. So did he crack under this pressure, or did he succeed in creating a worthy sequel?
So why would you watch Anchorman 2?
- Because it’s a joy to follow these perfectly created four characters.
- Because some of the jokes are so corny and straightforward that it’s impossible not to laugh.
- Because this movie doesn’t hide that it’s a comedy. It doesn’t try to be educational or to give an answer to one of life’s big questions. It sticks to being funny and it succeeds.
- Because you have a couple of friends who you always crack up with. Go see this movie with some friends!
- Because it’s a worthy sequel. It’s as – if not more – fun as the first Anchorman.
- Because this movie lets you unwind and just makes you enjoy yourself.
Why wouldn’t you watch Anchorman 2?
- Because, believe it or not, some of the jokes can be a wee bit too corny so it really doesn’t seem funny.
- Because Brick’s (Carell) female counterpart (Wiig) seems out of place. Her character is a bit overkill and kind of ruins Brick’s unique character.
- Because you like your jokes to be somewhat intellectually challenging.
- Because you’re just too old for this shit.
SHOULD you watch Anchorman 2?
This is a movie that divides the audience. Either you love it or you can’t stand it. But I’m quite sure that the majority will love this movie. Yes, writers Ferrell and McKay have maybe let the absurdity get a little bit out of hand at some places, but that’s also the charm of this movie. All in all it’s an amazingly funny movie and a great sequel so of course you should watch it. I have personally not laughed so much in a long time. (Remember to watch the movie with a couple of friends)