There’s a bunch of tycoon games out there. Everything from zoos to theme parks have seen the tycoon treatment and with great success. Patrick and Daniel Klug of Greenheart Games must have played a bunch of these games and thought to themselves: “It’s time for the video game industry to be tycooned. Game Dev Tycoon is an accurate and nostalgic trip through gaming history and its consoles where you, the CEO of your own game developer, get to witness and take part in it all.
So why would you buy Game Dev Tycoon?
- Because from the early days of Commodore 64 up until the launch of the Xbox One and Playstation 4, Game Dev Tycoon is really, really accurate and very close to what actually happened – Despite the fact that your historic shooter, Shitface WWII, managed to dominate the market, week in, week out.
- Because nothing is as gratifying as seeing your next big investment rack up 10’s in the reviews.
- Because there is a fine line between risk and reward in the early stages of the game, which will make you really think about the game you’re developing before tossing it out for reviews.
- Because it’s simple and mostly takes care of itself, making it perfect for some long nights multitasking the TV and the game simultaneously.
Why wouldn’t you buy Game Dev Tycoon?
- Because it can get quite tedious and downright too easy after a while when you’ve managed to make a name for yourself and even a mediocre game will end up with a profit of millions of dollars.
- Because in the end you’re doing the same thing over and over and over again.
- Because the historical accuracy also makes it a bit too easy to predict whether or not you should invest in a certain console.
SHOULD you buy Game Dev Tycoon?
It’s a charming game that works well most of the time. But despite the nostalgic journey through gaming history it’s mostly boiled down to a lot of clicking and hoping. It’s a small yes from here – but get it on sale if possible.
Game Dev Tycoon is available on Steam for $9.99/£ 6.99/€ 8.99